Saturday, June 9, 2012


Somewhere over the rainbow


In our class with Dr. Suzan Kobashigawa, I learned a lot of Hawaii and Hawaiian people, I never thought that they were so respectful with nature, and that makes me realize that all native inhabitants of any place have the same care about nature, that is something that shocks me.
I like the fact that they want back to their roots, and speak Hawaiian, dance, sing, etc. And I think that this is a global phenomenon with most nations, excepting us.
I love this song, its makes me feel free, in other place, over the rainbow, and I think that Israel Kamakawiwo'ole shows to their people that their essence never will be destroyed, and they have to fight for their believes, costumes and traditions. Like Martin Luther King, they never thought that they were wrong, and they always defend their ideals. I never heard about history of Kamakawiwo'ole, so I look it up, and nobody says anything about he than his music.
The last thing that shock me about this video is that people were celebrating his death, that wasn't a sad moment, it was full of energy, music, happiness and good wishes. May be we should learn from they.

6 comments:

  1. i use to think that everything that comes from USA is related to oil wars, and discrimination, capitalism, and consumption but i never realised that there were good people left in there, I suppose that there is hope in mankind. if we can convince people to change their attitude towards nature and life maybe just maybe the future wont be such a sad place

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your post because this song brings me lots of good memories.
    It seems to me that Israel Kamakawiwo'ole was an important man for Hawaii that's why people celebrate his death. I think it is because he fought for his state and his weapon was his music that's why people remembered him as a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song. I admire the way Hawaiians appreciate the nature, the patience they have with it, the attachment with their roots and most of all, their lifestyle, kind of "hakuna matata", enjoying the simple things of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had thought in post the same song in the blog because i really liked the visit of Dr. Suzan Kobashigawa. I really appreciated the opportunity of share with people from another cultures specially in this case, because she is a teacher too and the song is really really beatiful, the melody of it make me think only in a lot of good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I relly love this song, it make me feel that there are still hope for all of us to live in peace and in simple words, just be happy in many different ways.

    great choice my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somewhere over the rainbow, became a kind of hymn of the Hawaiian revival I guess. Maybe this "movement" really starts with Kamakawiwo'ole death, and the awareness of the "American" people about his music and way of life.

    ReplyDelete